Top of Page
UPDATED 9 JULY
Tuesday 10 July we will rehearse the French Tour music with Darius and Rachel. The rehearsal will be at KES Upper School, in the PSHE room, which is room A5 situated on the ground floor opposite the dining room. We can congregate in the foyer as usual. Please do your very best to attend – remember that right from the start Darius stressed how important it would be for everyone to attend every single rehearsal. Those travelling via ferry – bon voyage!
Please practise all the pieces at home between rehearsals, using You Tube recordings and/or Boo’s Spotify playlist, all on the chorus website at Members Area / Rehearsals / Preparing the Music,. Matthew’s Spotify playlist is on the Facebook page for the tour.
Everyone who is flying should now have checked in and downloaded their boarding passes; please make sure you do this if you haven’t already.
It has been announced that the Ryanair strike on Thursday 12th only affects flights from Ireland so the flight to Limoges should go ahead as planned. Thank goodness and fingers crossed!
The coaches from Sheffield to East Midlands will depart at 10.00 on 12 June, from the Penny Black near the bus station, with no pick-ups along the way. The pick up at East Midlands is yet to be determined but they know when the flight arrives from Limoges. Anne Adams will have the coach list; her number is 07847358814.
There will be a Sheffield tram strike on Thursday 12 July so if that’s how you would have travelled to the Penny Black, do make other arrangements!
The accommodation arrangements for those staying with French choir members can be downloaded by clicking this link: Accommodation Sheffield Philharmonic Chorus july 2018.
A reminder that the concert dress is all black including for men, and no scarves for ladies. The weather forecast is for continued heat but thankfully it should be cool in church.
Remember a hat and your sunscreen!
A quick rehearal note for Basses… If you follow the Youtube version for learning of “There is an old belief” use your own score as the one in the video has an error on page two (the second dear friends shall meet)
This works for me for the Part magnificat: http://www.choralia.net/pa01mp3/pa01-1be2.mp3
The Non-fish veggie dish can now be:
Bonjour je peu leur faite une assiette composé de tagliatelle endive haricots vert en plus grosse quantité.
Tour Latest.. 22nd June 2018
The concert dress for Perigueux is (at present) all black, including for the men. If it is hot (and it’s currently in the 30’s) then men would not wear jackets (or ties). If this causes difficulty for too many members on the black shirt / top – front, Matthew will try and negotiate white shirts if necessary – please let him know via email.
For Phil-only concerts, we could either do the same, or allow white tops for the men (no jackets). It may be cool in church but we are only in there for a short time and people who feel the cold could wear something underneath.
Matthew has now paid for the luggage, so those that have not paid him, please either pay by bank transfer as before or bring money on Tuesday 26th June. It’s £25 outward, obviously if you are not flying back, it will just be one fee.
Matthew will bring in check lists on Tuesday 26th June, to confirm a few things; please sign / initial if all is ok, or amend as necessary.
The coach to East Midlands airport and back from Sheffield has been booked. Please come to the Tuesday 26th June rehearsal with suggestions for useful but realistic Pickup Point(s) on the way.
Ryanair changes luggage policy again, please check their wesbite for details ?!?!
Please check out “staying with French Choir” List below.
Thursday 12th July 2018
- Outbound FR1632 Departure Airport East Midlands (EMA) 13.45
- Arrival Airport Limoges (LIG)16.30 local time
- Coach from Limoges to Perigueux 17.00 Drop DB and HK at Thiviers 17.30 Arrive Allee de tourney, Perigueux 18.30
Friday 13th July 2018
- 10.30am – Due to Orchestral commitments, there will now be a Tutti rehearsal in Perigueux Cathedral 10.30 (for 10.45) until 12.00; Sheffield Phil members are encouraged to “save their voices” as much as possible.
- 14.40 Coach leaves Perigueux Arrive Excideuil 15.30
- 15.45 to 17.15 Rehearsal
- Tea time tbc 17.15 to 19.15
- 19.15 Line up for 19.30 concert Concert approx. 1 1/4 hour plus break approx. 21.00 end
- 21.30 Coach back to Perigueux arrive 22.10
Saturday 14th July 2018
- 14.00 Full Tutti Rehearsal Perigueux Cathedral
- Saturday night possibility of combined dinner and watch the fireworks on a Boat Restaurant, 6 mins from Perigueux Cathedral
Sunday 15th July 2018
- 14.00 Full Tutti rehearsal at Cathedral
- Concert that evening
Monday 16th July 2018
- 17.45 St Astier Coach Leaves Perigueux for 1 Hour Rehearsal
- 18.45 tea
- 20.45 Line up for concert at 21.00
- 22.45 Coach returns to Perigueux
Tuesday 17th July 2018
- Flight FR1633 depts 16.35, arrives 17.15 UK time
- 12.30 Coach leaves Perigueux , collect DB and HK at Thiviers at 13.00
Latest downloadable: timings v1 with coaches
- Friday 13th July at 21.00 – Le Eglise de Excideuil – Phil-only concert
- Sunday 15th July Joint concert in Perigueux cathedral
- Monday 16th July 2018 St Astier, Dordogne, 15km West of Perigueux – Phil-only concert.
- New a5 flier on the https://sheffieldphil.org/excideuil/ page
- Posters and flyers are now being designed by Friend of the Phil, Mark Ramsden, http://www.grafika-uk.com/
- I have created a facebook area (Now a Group) for people to get in touch with other members on the tour: https://www.facebook.com/philtdf2018/posts/
- Dubois Scores were given out on 29th May.
- For the combined concert in Perigueux, they have added 3 items from the Brahms Requiem
- Running order for the Phil Only concerts thus far:
- Stanford 3 motets
- Tippett 3 from Child of our Time (Steal away/nobody knows/go down Moses)
- Organ solo
- Parry My soul/Never weather-beaten sail/there is an old belief)
- Esenvalds Lielupe River
- Part Magnificat
- Organ solo
- Saint-Saens x2
- Rachmaninov x2 (No 6 and no 13)
- That is just over 30 minutes of music in each half without allowing for chat/shuffling about. Actual running time would be c.35 minutes each half, so a 7.30 concert would finish just before 9 with a 20-minute interval
Music for Phil Only Concerts: Esenvalds: Lielupe River Part Magnificat (Solo: Boo Spurgeon) Organ solo: Bach: Fantasia & Fugue in C minor BWV537 Saint-Saens: Two Choruses Calme de nuites Les fleurs et des arbre Rachmaninov: from Vespers 6: Ave Maria (Rejoice, O virgin) 13: Today salvation has come to the world Interval Parry: From Songs of Farewell: My Soul, there is a country; Never weather-beaten sail; There is an old belief) Tippett: From Child of our Time Steal away Nobody knows Go down, Moses Organ solo (in Excideuil): Mendelssohn Sonata 3 in A major ((i) Con moto maestoso (ii) Andante tranquillo Organ solo (in St Astier): Fela Sowande Stanford: Three motets Justorum animae Coelos ascendit hodie Beati quorum via For Perigueux Dubois Messe de delivrance Brahms Requiem 3, 5,6
The comittee have decided all costs will be paid for by the Phil, and then when all bills and receipts are in, tour members will be asked to pay their share on return to the UK
Ryanair’s luggage policy has recently changed – check out the new rules here. Basically you can take ONE small personal bag on board which must be no larger than 35cm x 20cm x 20cm (weight not specified) so it can under your seat, eg handbag, laptop bag or small back pack. You can also take a larger bag (55cm x 40cm x 20cm max weight 10kg) which will be put in the hold free of charge (unless you pay extra for “Priority & 2 Cabin Bags”). Passengers who have reduced mobility and have prebooked airport special assistance can carry both of these into the cabin with them. Duty free bags are permitted in the cabin along with your cabin baggage.
Matthew has now booked 20kg bags for the hold, costing £25 each way; please pay him if you haven’t already!
Please advise any Errors or Omissions a.s.a.p.
Report after Matthew’s 2nd visit to France.
I have put up a lot of posters in the aeras of St Astier and Excideuil, and been to the local Mayors offices and tourist info offices too.
I had good visit to St Astier, and they took 31 Posters and some fliers, with the promise of adverts in 3 of the local press publications.
We will sing at the back end of the church as that’s where previuos choirs have sung, and enjoyed the best accoustics.
Choir list as at 16/06/2018 – please advise any errors or omissions to Matthew asap.
|1.Katie Owens – A|
|2.Rebecca Hutten – A1|
|3.Alan John Anderson – B1
|4.Patrick Vaughan – B1
|5.Rachel Copley – S2|
|6.Helen Victoria Kirk -S1|
|7.Helen Eyre – S2|
|8.Imelda Murphy – S2|
|9.Rosemary Elizabeth Anderson -S2|
|10.Kat Harkness – S1|
|11.Caroline Anne Hughes-Lawson -S2|
|12.Angela Wren – S2|
|13.James Oliver – T1
|14.Jane Turley – A2|
|15.Kath Eadon – A1|
|16.Valerie Brown – A1|
|17.Marianne Grayson – A1|
|18.Janet Michalowski -A1|
|19.Peter Miles -B2
|20.Ben Stone – B1
|21.Matthew Morgan – B2
|22.Diane Dalby – S1|
|23.Sally Turnbull – S2|
|24.Ann Curtis Garbett – S2|
|25.Magdalene Lake -S1|
|26.Rosemary Caine -S2|
|27.Janet Bower -S1|
|28.Anne Adams -S2|
|29.Paul Bedwell -T1
|30.Boo Spurgeon -S2|
|31.Dick Williams – B1
|32.John Spence – T1
|33.Paul Henstridge – T1
|34.Sue Pennington -S2|
|35.Kitty Turnell – A2|
|36.Annabel Park -A2?|
|37.Hilary Olsen (Bingham) – S2|
|38.Graham Dawson -B2
|39.Louise Dawson – S1|
|40.Jane Shute -A1|
|41.Nicki Power -S1|
|42.Penny Webster – A1|
|43.David Booker – B1
|44.Rebecca Lambert – S1
|45.Kate Reece – A2
Ryanair List and flight info
Here is the current list of people include in the Group Quote from Ryanair to fly Nottingham East Midlands Out on July 12th to Limoges and return on 17th.
times: 13:45-FR1632 from East Midlands, arrive Limoges 16.30 Return on 17th Departs at (amended) 16:35-FR1633 arrives east midlands 17.15 < revised by Ryanair 2nd May
|1||Alan John Anderson – CONFIRMED||Pd-1|
|2||Angela Wren- Confirmed||80.00|
|3||Annabel Park CONFIRMED outward||Pd-29|
|4||Boo Spurgeon – CONFIRMED||Pd-2|
|5||Caroline Anne Hughes-Lawson – CONFIRMED||Pd-23|
|6||Diane Dalby – CONFIRMED||Pd-24|
|7||Dick Williams – CONFIRMED||Pd-3|
|8||Helen Eyre – CONFIRMED||Pd-20|
|9||Helen Victoria Kirk – CONFIRMED||Pd-28|
|10||Hilary Bigham – CONFIRMED||Pd-21|
|11||Imelda Murphy – CONFIRMED||Pd-22|
|12||James Oliver – CONFIRMED||Pd-4|
|13||Jane shute – CONFIRMED||Pd-19|
|14||Jane Turley – CONFIRMED||Pd-5|
|15||Janet Michalowski – CONFIRMED||Pd-18|
|16||Jill Robson (Patrick vaughan) – CONFIRMED||Pd-17|
|17||Kath Eadon – CONFIRMED outward||Pd-15|
|18||Katie Owens – CONFIRMED||Pd-25|
|19||Kat Harkness –Confirmed||Pd-6|
|20||Magdalene Lake – CONFIRMED||Pd-14|
|21||Marianne Grayson CONFIRMED outward||Pd-7|
|22||Nicki Power – CONFIRMED||Pd-8|
|23||Patrick Vaughan – CONFIRMED||Pd-16|
|24||Penny Webster CONFIRMED||Pd-9|
|25||Rachel Copley – CONFIRMED||Pd-10|
|26||Rebecca Hutten – CONFIRMED||Pd-11|
|27||Rosemary (terry) Caine – CONFIRMED||Pd-12|
|28||Rosemary Elizabeth Anderson – CONFIRMED||Pd-13|
|29||Val Brown – CONFIRMED||Pd-27|
|30||Paul Henstridge – CONFIRMED||PD-26|
Let me know if you wish to add 20Kg checked-n bag, but note, you are then 100% committed at that stage, as will all be after April 15th when the names are submitted.
Accomodation check – for those staying with French Choir members
Persons WF Choir Notes / stay with
|5||1||Anne Adams||447847358814||yes||Helen Eyre|
|6||1||Kate Reece||447779067409||yes||Helen Eyre|
|7||1||Helen Eyre||447960705172||yes||Kate & Anne|
|17||2||Kitty Turnell||447592386974||yes||not Monday|
|18||1||Marianne Grayson||447875274540||yes||Thurs & Friday||Annie Park|
|19||1||Annabel Park||447791318611||yes||Thurs & Friday||Marianne Grayson|
|24||1||Helena jane shute||447712851475||yes|
|26||2||Rosemary Anderson||447816603078||yes||Alan Anderson|
|28||2||Boo Spurgeon||447930832872||yes||Jane Turley|
|33||1||Richard – Dick Williams||447876796507||yes||english speakers ?|
|38||1||rebecca Hutten||447824508897||yes||Thurs & Friday||Marianne and annie|
2 – 3 people if possible
4 — Couples
7 – single people
Flights to and from the region.
- The two main airports are Bergerac and Limoges. If you are doing your own, Fly-drive, there is also Bordeaux.
- Ryanair Fly to and from Nottigham East Midlands to Perigueux on Tues, Thurs and Saturday (in the summer)
- Ryanair Fly to and from Nottigham East Midlands to Bergerac Wednesday and Sunday
- Jet2.com fly to and from Leeds Bradford to Bergerac in the Summer
- Jet2.com 14th to 21st e.g. is £166
- Flybe Birmingham to Bergerac 10th to 16th £84 is another possibility (50 mins drive Bergerac to Perigueux)